Consumerism
As I work on my blog I realize that we as consumers are out of control with our purchasing. I remember a time of minimalism (the 80s) where (at least in my experience) it wasn't about what you had - it was about creativity in your personal style. My friends - and those who were not my friends - were not overly concerned with brands except for what we believed mattered - sneakers (quality and longevity) and triple down goose jackets - one was enough. Everything else could easily be purchased from an ABC store and no one would make fun of you. I wore so much brandless no-name clothing - shoes from payless and this habit kept up with me until later on in life. To this day I don't care too much about brands of clothes... I care more for fit, but I find that I am enslaved with brands concerning other things - bags and shoes.
This brings me to makeup. I feel that the technological changes that were not available when we were younger or even in college are now everywhere. So much that we cannot escape the desire to buy it all. Today for instance - 4 colors of the loreal chocolate liquid lip (even though I hate sticky lips), Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter - even though my skin is oily! Subq for my eyes - which my aging eyes need help and the Adaptogenic Moon Juice - because I'm stressed and the Internet says it works...
When I have a list of eyeing items even though I have over 100 palettes I have to begin to accept that there is a problem. I am not a youtuber, or an MUA. I am a makeup collector that should find some way to get a return from my investment haha... I'll let you know how to do that once I figure it out. But I am definitely consumed with consumerism. Thus I need an intervention.
After I buy my eyeing list (2 more palettes to go) I will officially be on a no buy. Just typing that was hard AF. It will be kind of like a decluttering experience just to update this blog with the rest of the items in my collection instead of growing it. Maybe this will put into perspective my purchasing habits and allow me to step back a little and put things in order.
FYI when preparing this blurb I looked up and saw the huge bag of shoes that I am donating... My last obsession before makeup. 80's style pricing =( ugh...
Stay tuned.

Comments